Sunday, December 4, 2011

My life after my doctorate

I recently graduated from a midwest conservatory with a DMA.  What is that you wonder? I have a doctorate of musical arts in flute performance, let the money flow....

I spent 26 years of my life in school with no breaks.  I started at the age of four in a French program in Canada. Then I moved to the US where I had to repeat the 2nd grade in English.  I did a double degree in music and history with a minor in French in my undergrad in a small college town in the northwest.  I then pursued a double masters in flute and music history at another university in the northwest.  I finally moved away and spent four years working on my doctorate in flute performance in the midwest.  I was ready to enter the workforce at a low point in arts and education funding.  I have the BEST timing EVER.

I've been told over and over that you need at least 3 years of college-teaching experience in order to teach at a college.  This makes no sense.  You need the experience before you can get the experience?  Really?!  Lame.  Luckily, I was able to scrape up a job teaching flute at a small university in the northwest.  So, I packed up my house and forged my own Oregon Trail.

I thought my life was looking up after I landed this job.  Perhaps I could finally be a grown-up at the age of 30.  Nope.  Life loves to mess with me, no matter how big or small the situation.

Listen up kids, just because you get a doctorate, it doesn't mean you are in the clear.  In fact, you find yourself having to deal with situations you thought you'd outgrown.
To quote Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "The hardest thing in this world is to live in it."

But you have to laugh about all of this.  As a fortune cookie from my favorite Chinese restaurant in Kansas City said: "Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think." 

No comments:

Post a Comment